24 June 2012

Early Review: Small Medium At Large by Joanne Levy

Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: July 3, 2012
Number of Pages: 208
Book Format: ARC from DAC ARC Tours
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So I just finished Small Medium At Large and after reading the book I finally understand the title! I never really understood them before but now I do! Small Medium At Large is a story about a girl named Lilah who while attending her mothers wedding she gets hit by lighting. When she wakes up in the hospital she starts hearing voices and she's confused because only her parents are in the room but neither of them are speaking. The voice finally reveals itself to us as Lilah's dead grandmother Bubby. But don't worry Bubby isn't the only spirit we get to meet. I have to say that Joanne Levy did a great job keeping my interest between the spirits, Lilah trying to get her dad to date, and her trying to get her own crush to notice her it all kept my attention!

For this book it's hard to pick favorites because I really enjoyed all the characters but I have to say that I did have a least favorite and it might sound weird because this character was in the book for like 3 chapters but she still really annoyed me and that person was Lilah's mother. Why you ask? Well because her daughter gets hit by lighting and of course she's there when she wakes up the first time. But when she wakes up in the hospital the second time before she goes home her mother isn't there because she's gone on her honeymoon. Now granted Lilah did have her father who she was closer with but if I had a daughter and she was HIT BY LIGHTING! I would so not be leaving her side until she was at home safe. Anybody agree with me?

I absolutely loved Lilah's dad he was such a fun character to read. He was the kind of dad that I want my dad to be. He was like Lilah's best friend, a great dad who protected his daughter when need be but he wasn't way to over protective and he even let her help him start dating again! I thought he was a cute character because he just seemed so innocent! But you realize what a good relationship she has with her dad in the first place because after her parents divorce she lives with her dad instead of her mom. (Another thing about the mom. I would make sure I have custody of my kids!)

Sorry about all the ranting this book has sent me on a tangent! Anyways the whole spirit thing with Lilah! was another one of my favorite parts of the book. One thing that surprised me was how easily her friends and a few other people believed her when she told them she hears dead people. I would of thought she would of had a really hard time convincing them but she didn't and I sort of liked that! I thought it was awesome how the sprits just popped up out of nowhere to help her when she needed it!

This book for me gets a 4 out of 5 stars. Reason being is because although I enjoyed the whole thing I think a few things could of changed as I said above. But don't get me wrong the book was an awesome quick read and i'd definitely read it again!

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I've been hearing really great things about this book! I am glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs